Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dam 2 Dam Race Report: Thomas

Saturday, February 14, 2009
Dam 2 Dam Five Mile Race at Sand Hollow State Park

Temperature: 37 degrees Fahrenheit.
Weather: Mostly sunny (despite forecasts calling for rain/snow mix).

Pre-race: Elizabeth and I car-pooled to the Sand Hollow parking lot with Richard and Kay (thanks for the ride, Richard!). Once at Sand Hollow we had to take a "shuttle" to the actual start line (the race makes a big loop around the reservoir, ending at the main parking lot). We met a nice family from Vegas in our shuttle. Their 14 year old son, Julian, ran the race last year in 31:00. It was fun to talk to them. Got to the start line and did some warm ups. Local speedster Jose was there, along with a guy from the St. George Running Center club.

Mile 1: Started out a little fast with the lead group. Jose went about 20 seconds off the front of the pack. 6:18.

Mile 2: Jose still out in front. The St. George Running Center guy and one other runner went off the front to try to catch him. I was in a group of about seven or eight (including Julian from Vegas, and my local rivals Glen Watts and Glen Leavitt) behind the front three. A really fast woman set the pace for our group. 6:23.

Mile 3: Three runners still out front. Our group was down to four (me, Julian, the really fast woman, and one other guy). 6:23.

Mile 4: I tried to pull ahead of our group of four. At one point I had a bit of gap on the other three, but the really fast woman caught and passed me right before we got to the dam. 6:27.

Mile 5: Crossing the dam. I could see the four runners in front of me (the three who had been out since mile 2, and the really fast woman). I tried to close the gap, but didn't have the kick. 6:24.

Overall a really good race. I beat last year's time by over a minute. My goal was sub 32:00, so I beat my goal as well. Though I wished I could have picked up my last mile a little bit. I also got $10 at Classic Sports for the third place age division award. Thanks, Jared.

No comments:

Post a Comment