Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dam to Dam Race Report: Elizabeth

Dam 2 Dam 5-Miler, February 14, 2009, Sand Hollow State Park
38:28, 9th overall, 4th in age group (30-34)

Tom and I ran the Dam to Dam 5-miler at Sand Hollow State Park. This is the fourth annual race, and the third time I have run it. Unfortunately, it gets more competitive every year. The first year I ran it (41:53) I took third overall. Last year, (41:57) was still good enough for 2nd in age group. I forget my overall placement. This year, I ran it 3 minutes faster but didn't place even in my age group.

The morning was chilly but better than expected. The forecasts were saying rain and I hate rain. We had beautiful sunny skies, still but chilly air. The race follows the reservoir from one dam to the other. It is a very scenic run and is about half pavement, half dirt road.

Racers are shuttled to the start where we waited for about 45 minutes for the start of the race. Nerves were good. Lots are good friends were there to wait with. I bought the hamstring wrap and put it on 10 minutes before the start. My hamstring was feeling fine, but just in case I wore it.

I started the race at the front because it is just hand-timed and I couldn't lose any seconds getting to the start. I felt good. There were a handful of women ahead of me.

Mile 1: 7:31. I intended to go out at about a 7:50, but I felt okay. I ran with a 12-year-old in my ward. She has potential. My hamstring wrap slipped down and I gave it to a guy taking pictures and hoped I would find the $20 item at the finish line. I caught my friend's husband Jim. Local rival (and 12-year-old's mom) Kasie Watts still ahead of me.

Mile 2: 7:47. I definitely slowed down, but still feeling good. Kasie in my sights, but not really any other women.

Mile 3: 7:45. I caught Kasie at the end of this mile. It felt good. Also caught race director Terry Tucker. One other woman maybe within reach.

Mile 4: 7:41. I'm just running steady. Still ahead of Kasie. Terry re-catches me. Other woman getting further out of reach.

Mile 5: 7:40. I gave all I had. Kasie passed me in the last 150 yards to beat me by 7 seconds. At least one man also passed me. I really had nothing left.

Overall, I am very happy. My first goal was to break 40 minutes. Check. More optimistic goal run between 7:30 and 7:45 pace. Check. I ran 7:41. Third goal. Beat Jim. Check. Fourth goal. Beat Kasie. No go, but I was close and I'll keep working on that one. I have yet to beat her in a race.

It was fun to run with so many friends.
Next race: Lake to Lake Relay, March 7, 2009. Relay group: Glen and Kasie Watts, Ben Ashcraft, Derral Humphries, and me. The 8th ward team.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I'm running the Ragnar Relay next week. Gulp! Too many pros on the team. My legs are 7 miles, 6.2, and 3.1 over a 24 hour period and 200 miles. Nick and Shaila are on the team of 12 people. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lake to lake relay is only 50miles and 5 people. i want to do the wasatch back ragnar but it is the weekend of girls camp. maybe next year. good luck and have fun1

    ReplyDelete