Sunday, March 8, 2009

7 Weeks to Boston: Elizabeth

I spent the week with my sisters, eating too much and running too little. Hopefully, it doesn't set me back too much because I don't have too much time left. I did use the excuse of tapering for Lake to Lake and was happy with the result. But now I have no time left for slacking. I need to be serious until the big race.

Monday: 4.88 miles, 40:44, 8:21 pace
I ran pushing James in the dark and I was stopped to be warned about rattle snakes. I started with my sisters but when on ahead after the first mile.
Mile 2 was more uphill and I was getting used to the stroller.
I picked up the pace for miles 3 and 4. (7:39, 7:41).
Ran the last mile with my sisters.

Tuesday: 10.68 miles, 1:39:56, 9:21 pace.
This was supposed to be my long run (16 miles remember?). I intended to run anywhere between 11 and 15 miles depending on how I felt. We drove to Saguaro National Park East. I ran a trail for the first 1.4 miles and then ran an 8-mile, very hilly paved loop around the park and finished on the trail. If I felt good I was going to run the 4 miles back to my sister's house. I didn't. It was 85 degrees. I was hot and tired. When I got back to the trailhead I should have finished out the 11th mile but I was so tired and my sisters were there from their 8-mile run and we went home instead. Oh well.

I slacked the rest of the week until Saturday's Lake to Lake relay.

Saturday: Our team took second in the mixed division out of 22 teams!! I ran legs 4 and 10. A full race report will follow.
-Leg 4: 5.18 miles, 36:52, 7:08 pace. It was a slightly downhill run, but I was ecstatic.
-Leg 10: 4.44 miles, 33:28, 7:32 pace. This one was a slightly uphill course, finishing on a substantial incline.

3 comments:

  1. hey, I was just wondering what your goals for boston were? for me, if I ever qualify (that is the goal right there!) I'm not going to try and kill myself... no thought of a pr or even running it super fast... just enjoying the day and the fact that I earned the privilege of being there! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am training for 3:40 but not expecting it. i have struggled this winter with my long runs. my speed is good, but endurance not so much. i don't know what to expect at all so i plan on just having fun and going with the flow. if i feel great, i will do what i can. if i feel less than great, i plan on just having fun. i think just the experience of being there is what i look forward to. my friend who did it last year said she probably ran a 12 minute last mile because she high-fived at least 1000 people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, that is so cool! one day I hope to have that experience... you need to tell me all your secrets, so that I can just make it to boston one day! :)

    ReplyDelete