Monday, March 23, 2009

Thoughts at 1 month to Boston: Elizabeth

Boston is 4 weeks away, today. Here is what I am feeling:

  • Nervous because of curse. Timing couldn't be worse.
  • If worse comes to worst and I have a bad race, I should be able to make up for it 12 days later at the Hurricane half. I feel I am in better half shape anyway.
  • I feel faster than I did this time before St. George.
  • My endurance is, however, not as good.
  • But my 17-miler last week was way faster than any long run I did before St. George.
  • And I felt great at the end and even picked up the pace the last couple of miles.
  • My 20-miler before St. George found me sucking wind the last couple of miles.
  • I weigh 5-10 pounds more than I did St. George.
  • Hopefully, it is all muscle in my legs.
  • Body feels pretty good: hamstring hasn't been bothering me much. I still wear the wrap on long runs, but more as a security blanket that anything.
  • Knees are pretty good.
  • Bunion still hurts, which it did for St. George and doesn't really bug me while I am running.
  • IT-band gets tight, I need to remember to stretch it after all my runs.
  • Basically, I am just mad about the curse timing and wish there was something I could do to alter it.
Overall, I am feeling fairly confident in my training, but very nervous and unsure of what to expect. I would love to do well, but am just excited for the experience. This is not the end all race of the season. Actually, I care more about my time at the Bryce Canyon Half in July where I have challenged my sister and would love to break 1:40 or even 1:37.

I am excited for my taper to officially start after Saturday. If I can just get through 20 miles at a decent pace, I will feel ready. I also need to radically change my eating habits over the next month. Much less junk will do my weight and glycogen stores some good.

1 comment:

  1. I have had similar junk food issues lately also. I have this part of my brain that is always trying to justify the idea that I can eat as much ice cream, candy, and cake as I want since I exercise during the week.

    That part of the brain is naughty. And very convincing.

    ReplyDelete